Timings: 9.00 AM to 5.00 PM for general visit,Sound & Light Show Time: 6.45 PM to 7.35 PM in English,8.00 PM to 8.50 PM in TamilPM
This Palace was built in 1636 by King Thirumalai Nayak with the help of an Italian Architect.The original Palace Complex was four times bigger than the present structure.There are royal residence, theatre, shrine, apartments, armoury, palanquin place, royal bandstand, quarters, pond and garden. King Thirumalai Nayak celebrated festivals like Sceptre festival, Navarathri, Chithirai festival, Masi festival and the Float festival.
Then the palace was utilized to house some officials of the judiciary and district administration. After independence, this palace was declared as a national monument and is now under the care of the Tamilnadu Archaeological Department. It can be visited from 9a.m to 5 p.m on payment of the entrance fee.
The thousand pillar mandapam is supposed to have been built by Arya Natha Mudaliyar.Even a casual visitor is fascinated by the many paintings and sculptures in this shrine. The ceilings are decorated with large paintings showing Shaivite and Vaishnavite themes. There is a beautiful painting of the marriage of Sundareswarar with Devi Meenakshi. Another beautiful painting is that of Harihara.
- Photo Fanatics
- Film shooting
- Archaeological museum
- Sound and light show